Are you struggling with issues that might relate to “the adoption thing”?
- Should I contact my birth parents or other family members?
- I’ve met some of my birth family and it has been an emotional roller coaster.
- I feel fuzzy, numb or dulled out. I don’t quite know what I’m feeling most of the time.
- I know what I’m feeling and it is uncomfortable: depressed, angry, anxious, sad.
- Something is missing and I don’t know what it is.
- Sometimes I know who I am and sometimes I really don’t.
- I am trying to figure out if I want children, or experiencing struggles with fertility, and I feel very confused.
- I feel hesitant about getting into relationships.
- I just lost a significant relationship and fell apart completely.
- Sometimes when my significant other leaves the house I get afraid they will never come back.
- I wonder if my relationship issues have something to do with adoption. Do I have adoption issues?
Every adult adoptee is different. But I have found over the years that many of us have certain questions that come up at one point or another. And sometimes adopted adults find therapy can help.
If you feel like you have been going in circles around issues that might be related to you having joined your family through adoption, or you are not functioning as well as you actually could if you could sort through it all, lets talk.
As a specialist in this area I have found that my adopted adult clients have been able to sort through these questions and many others in the supportive environment of therapy and have been able to move forward with their lives.
If you are looking for therapy in NYC or if someone you love might benefit from working with me, please be in touch. You can email me, call 347-620-2181, or if you just want to get started you can go ahead and schedule a complimentary session.
My fee for individual therapy is $220. I provide the paperwork for your insurance company for out of network reimbursement if you have out of network benefits.
In the greater New York City area and looking for help around adoption issues, but can’t get to Manhattan? Northstar Consulting is a consortium of specialists in the issues of adult adoptees, and members have offices in Queens and Westchester.
Check out my blog post on why adopted adults should consider a therapist with special knowledge in this area, and my series of four blog posts on adoption and issues of loss (link takes you to the first article).